DIY Skincare: How to make your own Coffee Sugar Scrubs
Caffeine is thought to increase blood flow, and tighten skin - making this natural ingredient a must-have for anti-cellulite body scrubs.
We've been experimenting with lots of recipes, making coffee/sugar scrubs using only a few ingredients - and they're so easy (and effective) we wanted to share the recipe!
The recipe can be tweaked depending on if you'd like the end product to be really scrubby (just add more coffee and/or sugar), or extra moisturising (just add more butters/oils).
Here's our recipe...
20g Coffee Grounds
20g Brown Sugar
40g Cocoa Butter
20g Coconut Oil
20g Shea Butter
Optional Essential Oils - up to 20 drops (per 100ml for 1% dilution).
We used a blend of Geranium, Lemongrass and Grapefruit for a fruity/floral mix. We've also tried Cypress, Cedarwood and Basil for a more woody/earthy scent. All these EOs have great antioxidant qualities - perfect for anti-aging recipes. you could also try Sweet Orange or Peppermint, these both blend well with coffee!
- Add the butters and coconut oil into a double boiler. Gently heat the mixture until the butters have completely melted. Remove from the heat.
- Add the Coffee grounds and Sugar and mix thoroughly. At this point you can add some natural Vitamin E oil if you feel you'd like an extra nourishing scrub.
- Add your choice of Essential Oils to the mixture, and very gently blend (don't mix too vigorously as EOs can be volatile when mixed, meaning they can lose their efficacy and scent).
- Pour into an ice cube tray, small plastic pots, or any other container you like.
- Freeze the mixture until hard.
- Pop the cubes out of the tray and keep cool (preferably in the fridge or on a cool windowsill) until you're ready to use them.
How to use your coffee scrubs...
In the bath or shower, run your scrub over wet skin (coffee side down). The butters will melt against the heat of your skin. Gently rub in circular motions for extra exfoliation and to improve circulation (which can help the appearance of cellulite). Each cube should do one leg (so you'll need 2 cubes for both legs). Rub the residual butters over the rest of your body to moisturise. Rinse the coffee grounds off your skin and pat dry. Your skin will be left super soft, smooth and moisturised.